The castle, which belonged to the Alviano family before and to the
Doria Pamphili family after still dominates the village and can
be visited.Dating to the same time, the parish church is the most
beautiful example of religious archiecture in the village. However,
what really makes unique Alviano is its naturalistic oasis. The
latter was created on 1990 due to a barrer on river Tevere done
by Enel (fomer national industry of electricity production), and
today it is more than 9 square Km wide,under the protection of
WWF Italy. The museum of peasant life is also worth visiting. della
Placed at 450 metres above sea level, Stroncone is placed in an enchanting
position, and is therefore considered an eccellent climactic resort,
where one can spend a tranquil and healthy summer stay. The first
certain document mentioning Stroncone goes back to the year 1012.
Nearly completely razed to the ground by troups from Narni after
a long siege, the town was rebuilt in 1215 by the same ravagers
on the orders of Pope Innocent III.
The original pre-roman town called Casventum in Roman times took on
the present name in the 9th century, when a monk called Gemine
from Syria began to preach there, instructing and doing so much
good that the town became known as the city of "St. Gemine".
Enjoying the favour of the Papal State, it became a township, and
representing a road junction of vital importance for comunication
with Rome to the north, San Gemini became a primary center of culture,
art and religion. The abbeys of St. Nicholas and St. Gemine, now
a cathedral, the churches of St. John with its antique baptistery
of the 8th century and of St. Francis (13th century), as well as
the Palace of the Citizen's Captain and the mighty city walls,
which largely still exist, testify to this fact.
Ferentillo, placed at 252 metres above sea level, is situated along
the Valnerina valley at 17 kilometres' distance from the city of
Terni. The castle of Precetto on the left- hand side and the castle
of Matterella on the right with their bastions still seem to protect
the town which is to be found behind them, below the mountains
of Sant'Angelo and Gabbio from which the castles rise up. The name
of Ferentillo is due to the expression: "those of Ferento" (Ferentum
illi). In fact, in 742, King Liutprando, at that time battling
with the Duke of Spoleto, took with him the the settlers and the
warriors of the city of Ferentillo, therefore "Ferentumilli".